These are not really the questions to which I’m referring. I’m talking about asking the right questions at the right time. Asking the right questions will get you where you want to go (kind of like asking directions, right guys?). It’s even biblical. Check out Luke 11:9-10. Or this.
In my experience as a music publisher and song plugger, I have learned that being GOOD requires knowing the kind of songs artists are seeking and when. It is my job to gather the necessary information and make it part of my plan. Bottom line: if you never ask you will never know!
But then I uncovered the inside scoop, which I’m going to share with you now.
Are You Ready?
I have found that GREAT song plugging required that I ask even MORE questions. Huh? What? No, not THOSE questions!
Whenever my pitches are rejected (and trust me, that’s most of the time) I take the initiative and the time to respectfully ask questions like:
- “Why doesn’t the song fit?”
- “What kind of song would you cut on this artist?”
- “What types of songs have you cut?”
- “When will you be cutting again?”
- And the all important question…wait for it…”May I go through my catalog and pick more suitable songs for you to review?”
These types of questions allow me to be better prepared for my follow up meeting.
Did You Write Those Down?
Of course, sometimes I don’t have the chance to get answers to these questions, but when I do I ALWAYS ask. In my professional experience, no one has ever been offended by respectful and intelligent questions.
Bottom line: If you never ask you will never know!
Speaking of questions, here are four for you.
- You know this was coming, right?
- Have you taken the Twenty Questions at #TakeTheTwenty?
- If not, why not?
Reach out to me at email@example.com and let’s make a plan for you!